Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Only a couple of days of vacation left.

Barry goes back to work on Friday night. Vacations never last long enough. We have had a good one though. We saw our friends Pam and Doug. They came over last week and had some dinner and beers and wine! Swimming in the pool. The biggest whirlpool we have ever had! Sorry Niki! You will have to come over and work on some whirlpool technique! The 4th of July was fun and the neighbors. Lots of good food! Pasta salads that were so good.
We had a nice trip to Seattle. We pitched a tent at Scott and Joanies. The kids had a lot of fun. And it was wonderful being able to relax with family. We had a nice fire. I retired to bed (of course). So I missed some of Scott and Barry's partying. Thankfully, because they did not feel very well the next day. Thanks to the Dombrowski family for the easy stay!
We spent a good amount of time with Grandpa. He is confined to his bed in the family room and is so weak. It is alarming when you first see him. He is so frail. He needs help for everything he does. There were a lot of tears. But he still has humor. Makes jokes when he can. He reflects on his life with us. It is all so overwhelming. My brother, sister and mother have a lot on their shoulders. It is hard to not be of any help to them. My Grandma is just trying to cope. He loves her so. She seems scared to even spend time with him. She feels helpless. Dealing with her own physical pain and her own illnesses. She feels bad that she is not able to care for Grandpa by herself. It is truly taking every person in the family they created to care for them.
I believe they truly know how much they are loved.
O.K. so I have this constant ache in my heart. I spent some good time weeding in the garden with my husband. It was very theraputic. Our garden is full of life. My Grandma and Grandpa always planted a garden. We will plant raspberry bushes. I am determined to carry on Grandpa's berry picking
I plan on spending time in our pool the next few days to finish off the vacation. It is going to be 100 degrees today so I can't think of a better place to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Fine!! Pam must be an honorary "Butt Sister" to get that good of a whirlpool! Love ya! Nik