Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Grandpa

My dear Grandpa passed away on Thursday, August 7th. He was so courageous. I left home on Thursday morning with the thought that he was probably going to live for 3 - 4 days. I made it just in time to be sitting with him when he took his last breath. His poor body had finally given in to the disease. Although, I knew he was going to die it is so overwhelming. He was surrounded by his family. Just how I thought he would have wanted to go. While we waited for hospice and the funeral home to arrive, our family pulled together in our true Palmer tradition. Cocktails were poured, our tears were flowing and hugs were abundant! A family that as we grew has spent less time together but none of that mattered anymore. We were all there to honor him and the life he had so selflessly shared with us all. I am so blessed to have been there in his last moments. "Family is Forever". Sometimes whether you like it or not and sometimes when you need each other the most.
I love you my Grandpa. Rest. But don't forget you are an angel now and that I still might need your help :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocky,
My thoughts are with you and your family. I am sorry that your grandpa has passed away. I hope you can find comfort in the good times that you had with him. If there is anything at all that I can do for you, don't hesitate to let me know.

rocky said...

"L" thank you for your thoughts!
He was a wonderful man but in so much pain. It is a relief in some ways.

Jamie S said...

Oh Rocky, I just got back tonight. I am sitting here crying. I am so sorry for your loss but am so glad that you were able to make it there to be with him. I will call you tomorrow because it's too late tonight. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly said...

Thinking of you and your family, Rocky. I'm so very sorry. I'm so glad you were able to all be together with him. Lots of love, thoughts and prayers, Kelly.